By Adam Rossow
When we’re drowning in data or working on the eighth version of a guide it can be hard to remember how lucky we are to be in the insights field. But now it’s that time of year – time to reflect and appreciate. As members of the research community we’re all grateful for our clients, colleagues, and the opportunities we have to make an impact. But there’s still a lot we take for granted. As a reminder of all that we have going for us, here are 10 things we as researchers should be thankful for this holiday.
- We should be thankful that companies have yet to figure out Big Data, which means researchers can still claim to have the secret formula to make it all come together.
- We should be thankful that selfies are now socially acceptable making respondent photo uploads all the rage.
- We should be thankful that big brands still don’t know it all and their actions often remind everyone why a little research always helps.
- We should be thankful that marketers are always scrambling to figure out how to engage customers on the latest “game-changing social platform”. Yes marketers, we’re happy to run a study to see what people want from brands on SnapFaceChat8.
- We should be thankful that we’re smart enough to compete in the insights space with a Jeopardy dominating super-computer from the future.
- We should be thankful that many brands think they need to figure out how to incorporate “On Fleek,” “DadBod,” and “Bae” into their lexicon.
- We should be thankful that we don’t need those intimidatingly smart neuroscientists to tell us how people really feel any more. Self-reporting is back and better than ever….
- We should be thankful that seemingly every retailer is hopping on the “lets close on Black Friday” bandwagon. One less actual shopping day, one more survey taking on shopping day.
- We should be thankful that Gen Z is on the scene, meaning now only 75% of our work week is dedicated to understanding the mystical millennial.
- We should be thankful that Data Science is somehow sexy and we’re all a little cooler to be even loosely associated with it.
Happy Thanksgiving from your thankful friends at iModerate.